The Married Couple


(Standard bedroom setting; Sunday morning; Husband is lounging on the bed in his pajamas with a remote in hand; a TV stands against the far wall. Wife is fully dressed, and strides in and out of the room.)

Wife:
(stepping into the room, mid-sentence) Have you seen my keys?
Husband:
(stares blankly)
Wife:
(hustles around the room) I can’t find my keys. Where are they?
Husband:
(looks up) I’m sure they are around somewhere.
Wife:
Then where are they? Why can’t I find them? I’ve looked everywhere…
Husband:
(yawns) What time is it?
Wife:
Ha? Can’t you see the clock in front of you? It’s 10:30.
Husband:
(clicks the remote a few times, till he settles on the right channel)
Wife:
(goes out of the room, and then comes in back shortly) I still can’t find my keys…where are they?

Husband:
They’ll turn up somewhere.
Wife:
You’re useless…
Husband:
Hmm…
Wife:
(suddenly catches sight of the keys, fallen next to the bed) There they are
(Wife takes her keys, and steps out of the room. Two hours later, wife returns. Husband is in exactly the same spot, on the bed, in his pajamas, watching TV).

Wife:
(striding into room, dumping her purse) Whew, it’s so hot outside today.
Husband:
Hmm…
Wife:
The brunch was really good. I had the egg salad, and then also the strawberry tart for dessert.

Wife:
(puts her hand on her stomach) I think I ate too much. I can’t afford to put on more weight.

Husband:
Hmm…
Wife:
(looks at herself in the mirror) I shouldn’t have had desert. Have I been putting on weight?

Husband:
(not looking up from his TV) No dear.
Wife:
Tell me really, no. Have I put on weight? Am I looking fat?
Husband:
(looks up) No, not at all, dear.
Wife:
You know that Sheila has put on her so much weight. I was seeing her today after a long while. Her waistline is definitely bulging.

Husband
Hmm…
Wife:
And you should hear that Tina go on and on about her new house.
Husband:
Hmm…
Wife:
Just because she’s moved to the posh neighborhood, she thinks that she is better than everyone else. And you know, she has gotten into that new club, The Executive Club, which no one seems to get into. Didn’t we also apply?

Husband:
We are on the waitlist. (clicks the remote). Do we have more batteries for this thing?

Wife:
(absently takes the remote from him, steps out and comes back with batteries) That Tina has got membership to The Executive Club. I believe it has an amazing pool, and beautiful lawns; They have a lovely barbecue every Sunday evening there.

Husband:
Hmm…
Wife:
(hands back the remote, with the batteries replaced) They also have a superb party room where members can entertain guests.

Husband:
(takes his remote back, and experiments with clicking)
Wife:
But Tina brags on and on about this and that. I can’t stand it anymore. I don’t know why I even go out with her.

Husband:
Then, why do you?
Wife:
What?
Husband:
If you dislike Tina so much, then why do you go out with her?
Wife:
(frowns) Because she is Julie’s friend, who is Kiran’s sister, who is in the same yoga class with me and Kavi. Also, Tina’s niece goes to the same school as Veena’s daughter and Veena is an office friend of my close friend, Tanya..

Husband:
(scratches his head) Okaayy..
Wife:
…you wouldn’t understand…
Husband:
(goes back to watching TV intently)
Wife:
Also, next Saturday we are going out for dinner with the Kumar’s.
Husband:
(continues watching his TV)
Wife:
And the weekend after that, we are having lunch with my sister.
Husband:
Hmm…
Wife:
Oh, did you get that crystal showpiece I asked you to pick up?
Husband:
Ha?
Wife:
It’s available right next to your office. I reminded you to pick it up last Sunday. (starts pacing around the room)

Husband:
Hmm…(leans to the side, to watch the TV around his wife)
Wife:
I can’t believe you forgot again.
Husband:
(still straining his neck to watch the TV) I’ll get it tomorrow.
Wife:
That’s too late. We had to take it as a gift for Ravi’s house-warming party tonight.
Husband:
Tonight?
Wife:
(notices him leaning to look around her at the TV) What are you watching anyways?

Husband:
It’s the Wimbledon quarter-finals.
Wife:
(turns to look at the TV) You and your tennis.
Wife:
(turns back to face him) The party is tonight, and now we have nothing.
Husband:
(still watching the TV) Can’t we just pick up something on the way?
Wife:
No, I had picked out the perfect gift, and you had to forget. I’ll just have to go get that right now…unless you have some other brilliant ideas?

Husband:
Hmm…
Wife:
…I didn’t think so…
Wife:
I’ll need to withdraw some money. I’m taking the debit card.
Husband:
Hmm…
(Wife opens the cupboard, takes a few things, grabs her purse and heads out. Half an hour later, she comes back into the bedroom to find her husband still in the same position on the bed, in his pajamas, watching TV.)

Wife:
Oh God, you still haven’t gotten out of bed. You haven’t even taken a bath. What are you just sitting there? C’mon, get up, it’s past lunch time…

Husband:
(yawns, stands up slowly, stretches out his arms, and disappears into the bathroom)

No comments:

Post a Comment