The Delivery Boy - Part 1


They call me Chotu. It means small boy, and I’m still called that, even though I’m 18 years old now. My parents, the hopeless drunks, never bothered to come up with a real name for me.
But they are gone now. Thankfully.
Papa overdosed on charas one night. Mumma fell from a bus in a drunken stupor, and was run over by oncoming traffic.
It’s just me and Pinky now, and we take care of each other.
We live in a hundred square foot shack in the Dharavi slum of Mumbai, with a corrugated metal sheet that serves as a roof, a curtain for a door, and no light or ventilation inside. I’ve seen houses where the Memsaab’s wardrobe is bigger and brighter than our place.
The thin alleys of the slum stink of feces and rotting garbage. The open drains teem with mosquitoes. An ocean of people lives here, more than a thousand humans for every toilet.
It’s the only place I’ve ever called home.
I’ve worked many odd jobs. I’ve been a waiter at a dhabha. I’ve polished shoes. I've delivered newspapers and washed cars.
Pinky is in the 6th standard, and I’ll do whatever it takes to make sure she stays in school.
*****
The blaring of a police siren.
The barking of a stray dog.
The clattering of steel utensils to the floor.
In the slum, there’s no need for an alarm clock. An assortment of sounds will wake you up long before the first rays of the sun touch the night sky.
I stood up and stretched. Next to me, Pinky stirred on the low wooden cot.
“Bhaiya,” She mumbled, her eyes half-closed.
I bent down and adjusted the razai to cover her body. The thing was tattered and threadbare. Winter was almost here, and I had to get a proper cover for her.
Outside, the line to take a shit was already hundred people long. I refuse to stand in that line. The years in Dharavi have left me bereft of any shame, and I’m happy to do my business on the street. Sometimes the pandu hawaldars get after me, but I can easily outrun those fatsos.
I took the train to Churchgate, collected my daily bundle of newspapers, and set off to nearby housing colonies.
At Asha Bhavan building, I walked from flat to flat, tossing papers at doorsteps. Near one door, I saw a color printout of a brass diya stand, with some numbers scribbled in red.
Shankar was the building valet, in charge of all the cars. He had a thick beard and a chin that protruded beyond his face. He handed me three car keys: one Maruti and two Hondas.
“Volkswagen?” I looked at him.
The Volkswagen was my favorite. Not because of the leather seats, digital display, or power steering. We don’t drive, we only scrub. The more expensive the car, the more we get paid.
“Has Neelam madam gone to Pune again?” I asked.
Shankar looked past me, as though I was invisible. An old Hindi film song blared from one of the car radios.
Mere sapno ki rani kab aayegi tu … Chali aa, tu chali aa …”
Shankar rapped his knuckles on the bonnet of the musical car. “This time in the morning, no sapno ki rani is coming.”
Mukund was down on his haunches, wiping the tires. “What Shankar Bhai…”
“The residents have complained,” Shankar switched the radio off. “Your music wakes them up in the morning.”
“Oh, the residents,” Mukund muttered. “Mustn’t disturb their beauty sleep then.”
“What?”
“Can’t a man at least enjoy a tune while working?”
“Put it on again, and I’ll get you fired,” Shankar said and walked off.
Mukund stood up and gave a mock salute. He was a short, wiry fellow whose gait reminded me of a squirrel. He didn’t walk, he scurried.
“That man doesn’t like you, you know,” Mukund said to me. “He’s trying to get his nephew your Volkswagen job.”
I glared at him, and then towards Shankar’s post.
“But Neelam madam knows you do a great job,” Mukund added.
“Did you hear about Swapnil?” Keshav was wiping a windshield. His greying hair and wrinkled hands spoke of a lifetime of labor.
“He got a delivery job at some online shop,” Mukund said. “I heard he’s getting 30 thousand a month.”
“Wow,” Keshav whistled.
My ears perked up. “How did he get this job?”
Mukund regarded me with amusement.
Arrey, forget it,” He said. “It’s out of your league. They want educated people who speak English.”
“I can speak English,” I frowned in concentration as I recalled the words. “How…how I can help you madaam? I bring loondry for you.”
Mukund laughed so hard his eyes became wet.
“No, I can really speak English…”
“Ha, we heard you,” Mukund grinned. “How do you say ‘Nothing will work out for me’ in English?”
I gave him a piercing stare.
“How much do you think Swapnil had to pay?” Keshav asked me. “There are millions of boys like you and him in Mumbai. How much did he feed those pigs to get picked?”
“One lakh,” Mukund said. “At least.”
“I don’t understand,” I said. “You have to bribe the same people who will then be paying your salary? What sense does that make??”
“You don’t know how the world works Chotu,” Keshav said. “There’s always someone who decides, and they’re always greedy.”
“It takes money to make money,” Mukund added.
“If I had so much money, why would I need a new job?” I threw out my hands. “Can’t they hire me because I come on time and work hard?”
Mukund and Keshav exchanged a wry smile.
“Just wash the car,” Mukund said. “The game is rigged against people like you.”
I caught my own reflection in the car window. It was a dark face ridden with scars. The skin on my arms was wasting away with daily labor and not enough nourishment. A black mole on my neck was my birthmark.
My whole existence felt like a black mark.
Whatever this game was that Mukund spoke of, I was surely losing. I needed a shortcut, a cheat code.
My next job was to wash dishes at an Udupi dhabha. I made sure every dish was squeaky clean and by the end of it, the smell of sambhar emanated from my pores.
My only sustenance was one vada pav. But it’s my favorite part of the day. The vada pav, with its boiled and fried potato neatly packed into a soft white bun, and spicy red garlic chutney that will make your taste buds soar, is the best thing that ever happened to Mumbai.
Finally done for the day, I walked to Grant Road station. I went past Kamathipura, the red light district where groups of women leaned against rickety doors, wearing low-cut blouses that displayed their cleavage. Some were young and shy; some were provocative and solicited their clients without hesitation.
I ignored these activities as I walked on. But the face of one girl made me freeze in my stride.
Those blueish eyes. That dimple on her cheeks.
Shruti, the sweet girl who grew up next-door to us in the slum, was doing the dirty business at Kamathipura. It was a reality that I still couldn’t digest. The same girl who would quietly play with her little plastic doll. She never troubled anyone. And today she was doing this.
For people like us, all roads lead to hell…
Back at our shack in Dharavi, music played from a small wireless radio, and Pinky twirled her body. She was in her school uniform, a collared blue top and a long blue skirt. Her hair was tied in two ponytails on either side of her head.
I shut off the music. “Did you do your homework?”
She nodded.
“You better do it,” I said. “You have to study well and get a proper job, and then get out of this place.”
“I’ll do all that bhaiya,” Pinky said. “But life is about more than going to school and doing homework.”
She put the music back on. “It’s also about having fun.”
I watched her dance to the tunes playing on the radio, and the tunes playing in her heart.
I wish that were true. I wish there was more to life. I wish it was about having fun. But it wasn’t. It was the same shit every day, day after day. Nothing ever changed.
Until that day when things did change…
*****
It was the garbage that changed my life.
I peek into building garbage cans from time to time. It’s pathetic, I know, but in the past I’ve found a cap, a watch, a pair of shoes. I grew up in Dharavi, so the stink never bothered me. In fact, it felt like home.
At Asha Bhavan building, I saw a brass diya stand in the garbage, exactly like the one I had seen earlier on a printout outside the door of flat no. 3, the Chawla residence.
Strange coincidence, eh?
Meanwhile, Neelam madam returned and the sky-blue Volkswagen was back. My Volkswagen. I scrubbed greedily, till her wheels gleamed, her mirrors sparkled, and every inch was spotless. She was my highest-paying job, and I admired her dazzling beauty in the morning sunlight.
Next to me, Mukund emerged from the belly of a BMW.
“What do you know about Chawla from no. 3?” I asked him.
“Why?” Keshav looked at me quizzically, from behind a jeep.
Arrey, he wants more work,” Mukund scratched his back. “Swapnil was Chawla’s driver, so there is an opening now.”
I arched an eyebrow. “Tell me about Chawla.”
“Two kids, a boy and a girl,” Mukund said. “He owns a shop in Colaba. The Mrs used to be a dentist, now she’s retired.”
I stopped scrubbing momentarily. How did he know so much??
“What kind of shop?” I asked.
“He sells statues and souvenirs and other rubbish that those firang tourists pay lots of money for,” Mukund said. “Trust me Chotu, you won’t get the job. He wants a proper experienced driver.”
I finished my work in silence. As I was leaving, I saw Neelam madam walk out of the building in a floral pink salwar-kameez with a silver bracelet on her wrist. Shankar scrambled to open the door of the Volkswagen. He saluted her and smiled.
That bearded bastard. His smile was like those duplicate Ray-Ban sunglasses you get at Churchgate station for 50 bucks.
While I waited at the bus stand, I saw Chawla’s Toyota roll to a halt at a traffic signal.
A bus pulled up that wasn’t my bus, but was headed in the same direction as the Toyota. On an impulse, I hopped on.
The diya stand was still in my head. Something weird was going on. What I felt was more than curiosity. It was a primordial instinct that whispered in my ear: Here’s an opportunity.
Or maybe I was just desperate.
A short ride later, the Toyota pulled over. I got off the bus and saw Chawla go up a small flight of marble stairs into a building with wide glass doors.
Oye, where do you think you’re going?” A uniformed guard barked at me, when I tried to go in.
“In there,” I said.
“Hah,” The guard made a sound that was a half-laugh, half-snort. He brushed his hand dismissively in the air.
For people like me, the doors all remain closed.
I hung around nearby. A short man came out of the building, wearing round gandhian glasses and a beige striped shirt tucked into grey pants. A name-tag on his shirt read: Sanjay Sharma, Peon.
He had a mobile phone in one hand, samosa in the other.
“What’s the score?” I asked him.
“120/4. Virat Kohli got out now.”
“But Dhoni is still there.”
“Ya,” His mouth was full. “With Dhoni, there’s always hope.”
I nodded. “What’s that building?”
“Wilson Auction House.”
“What is that? What happens there?”
“Some old stuff that rich people want to buy. Whoever is willing to pay the most money, gets to buy it.”
“Old stuff?” This was bewildering to me.
“Ya, like today they sold a tennis racket that Roger Federer practiced with during his first Wimbledon.”
“Roger who?”
The peon looked me up and down. That familiar contempt.
“Is there a diya stand too?” I asked.
“Ya, lots of stuff like that. Yesterday, a diya stand went for 10 lakhs.”
“10 what??”
The peon wiped his mouth with a tissue and hustled back into the building.
10 lakhs!! Can you believe it? And I saw it lying in the garbage…
An hour later, Chawla appeared holding a dagger with a curved tip and an engraved bronze handle. He was a rotund man wearing sun glasses and a gold watch. A typical Sindhi baniya, who had gotten rich and fat.
“What you doing here Chotu?”
I spun around to see Pankaj, who also worked at Asha Bhavan.
“I…umm…” I gulped down some air. “What are you doing here?”
“I’m working,” He said. “I’m Chawla saab’s new driver.”
“Oh.”
He looked at me expectantly.
“I came to apply for the waiter job there,” I pointed behind him.
It was a cheap Chinese restaurant where a teenager stood taking orders from customers, with a dirty cloth slung over his shoulder.
“My brother-in-law is the manager here,” Pankaj said, and folded his arms across his chest.
I blinked, while he eyed me closely.
“Can…can you ask him if he’ll hire me?” I said.
Pankaj frowned. Then he saw his boss across the road, and hurried towards him.
By now, the gossip at Asha Bhavan would already be about how I was asking about Chawla. And now this.
Pankaj lived next-door to Mukund. He would surely tell Shankar too. I’d seen them chatting over chai. If that bearded bastard said he would get Mukund fired over playing music on car radios, then he could definitely…
I skipped the dhabha job, and went home with a rising knot in my stomach.
*****
“What do you mean there aren’t enough textbooks??”
We were in the principal’s office at Pinky’s school, a dingy room with the paint peeling off the walls and a wobbly ceiling fan that looked like it could come crashing down any second.
Principal Shirodkar sat on a tottering wooden chair behind a scratched wooden desk.
“This is a government school,” He said. “We don’t have money to paint the walls. I’ve been trying to get funds for years…”
“But at least you can give the kids textbooks,” I cut him off.  “Otherwise, how will they study? How will they pass the exams?”
Shirodkar looked from me to Pinky, who sat there toying with her ponytail, and then back to me.
“We have 60 students in the class, and only 27 textbooks,” He said.
Next to me, Pinky started to hiccup.
“Which students get those 27 textbooks?” I asked.
“Ah,” Shirodkar smiled. He ran a fingernail in the gap between two front teeth, which protruded out like those of a cartoon rabbit. Except this rabbit’s teeth were lined with the red stains that came from a lifetime of chewing paan.
“Now you’re asking the right question,” He said, and then lapsed into silence.
Pinky’s hiccups got louder and more frequent. I glanced at her.
“I don’t want it to be this way,” The rabbit principal exhaled a long sigh. “I want all the students to get an equal chance. But that’s not how the world works, you understand?”
I did understand. This bastard chaprasi wanted to dip his filthy wet beak into my hard-earned money.
“How much?” I asked, looking at the desk.
“Bhaiya,” Pinky clutched my fingers. “It’s okay, I can study with friends.”
“No,” I looked at her. “No, you need your own textbooks.”
Shirodkar nodded with satisfaction.
My blood had started to boil, and my sister knew it. Her hiccups went on incessantly.
“The students who got the textbooks gave a generous donation of ten thousand rupees,” Shirodkar said.
“Ten. Thousand. Rupees,” I enunciated each word, with my eyes set ablaze.
Shirodkar shrugged.
“Ten thousand rupees,” I bellowed, standing up and sending my chair flailing backwards.
“Bhai—ya,” Pinky managed, in between accelerating hiccups. Her eyes pleaded with me to stay calm.
Bas, bas,” Shirodkar said. “Stop all this drama.”
“You bastard,” I said. “It’s one thing to fleece businessmen and lawyers and accountants. But to squeeze every last rupee from slum people like me…”
The principal’s face turned red. He stood up violently. “Who the hell do you think you are, ha?”
Pinky’s hiccups reached a crescendo.
“You give my sister the textbooks…” I yelled.
“I don’t take orders from you…” Shirodkar hollered back.
“…And get her a fucking glass of water.”
Suddenly, everything went silent. The hiccuping stopped, and so did the shouting.
Shirodkar and I glared at each other.
“Get out,” He said. “Get out now.”
I took Pinky’s hand and walked to the door.
“Fifteen thousand rupees for you,” He called out from behind me. “And within one week. Or I’ll throw Pinky out of this school.”
I turned and fired a look of unadulterated hatred. “You can’t do that.”
“I can,” He said. “And I will.”
*****
On the train ride back, not a word passed between Pinky and me. She gazed out the window, leaving me to fume.
Back at our shack, she took a notebook from her school bag and sat in a corner with it. I flung off my t-shirt and lay down bare-chested, staring at the ceiling.
A fly slipped in through our curtain-door, and buzzed about near a puttering table fan.
I felt like that fly, with no other place to go but this garbage dump of a home, to dodge fan blades that could slice you at every turn.
The sun rose next morning to start another miserable day. I went about tossing newspapers, cleaning cars, washing sambhar.
In the garbage at Asha Bhavan, I saw a dagger with a curved tip and an engraved bronze handle.
This was not a coincidence anymore. What was Chawla up to??
Walking home from Mahim station, I saw a small crowd gathered at a nearby slum. A brute of a man with bulging biceps stood with a hockey stick in hand. His open shirt buttons exposed a set of gold chains hanging over a hairy chest.
“Move fast,” He growled, and slammed his stick into the backside of a grey-haired old man, who yelped and doubled over.
With the brute were other men with hockey sticks. The accumulated crowd, mostly slum-dwellers, stood mesmerized and unmoving.
Amongst them I recognized Ramprakash, a day laborer from Dharavi. I went over to him. “What’s going on?”
“Sharad Bhai’s gang,” He whispered.
Sharad Bhai. A name that instantly struck fear in our belles. He grew up in our slum, flunked out of school. With his unrestrained courage and aptitude for violence, only one career path beckoned.
He rose through the ranks from minor henchmen sent to threaten and rough up, to gang leader running extortion rackets. Legions of store-owners paid Sharad Bhai monthly dues for his ‘protection’.
“Narayan Industries is building a new factory,” Ramprakash gestured to an area with construction scaffolding and bags of cement. “30 shacks have to be vacated.”
“Vacated??”
“Javed Chacha’s been here 20 years,” He looked towards the old man. “Doesn’t want to leave.”
Javed Chacha lay sprawled on the ground, his trembling palms clasped together in prayer.
“Can…can this happen in Dharavi?” I asked Ramprakash.
“Of course,” He said. “We have no legal papers for our homes.”
The howl of a baby sent a hush through the gathering. The mother, a middle-aged woman in a faded purple saree, cradled it in her arms.
The big brute smashed his stick into her lower back. She screamed and turned her baby away, with her body as a shield.
“C’mon move,” He commanded.
“Please leave her,” Javed Chacha cried. “Please, please, please.”
The man grabbed the ends of her saree and dragged her along the ground, his gold chains dangling.
“Noooo…” She shrieked.
I had seen enough. I turned and started walking. The howls and shrieks rang in my ears.
Vacated. The word burned my brain. One day, we’ll all be vacated…
Droplets of rain fell from the sky and rolled down my skin. I looked up. Grey clouds had gathered above, mesmerized and unmoving.
*****
TO BE CONTINUED....

No comments:

Post a Comment